GREENE, Dick （ぐりーん、でぃっく）教授
元：関西学院大学教授、シカゴ大学ビジネススクール講師、 コンサルティング会社を経営。専門分野：マネジメントセオリー、デザイン技法、ソフトウェアと品質に関する技法、コミュニケーション技法、創造的イノベーション、技術・市場とユーザーや社会とのインターアクションの解明、リーダーの本質的役割に関する研究、フラクタル概念モデル、知識体系の統合とグローバル化、社会性オートマトン 。著書：創造性、知識、イノベーションモデルなどに関する著書多数
SDM is every engineer's and
What should be learned in SDM
Prof. Dick Greene believes people should consider coming to SDM if...
you have done design without having met seriously Japan's centuries old and new design traditions, or
you have studied and done creativity and innovation without models of them from East Asia, or
you have learned the West's rational management regimes without learning Confucian norms of management, or
you modeled and understood Western markets and customers without study of Asia's huge rising markets of customers, or
you did Six Sigma without mastering what gave birth to it then went far beyond it in Japan and Toyota, or
you are a master of several ways to be creative but have not studied 20+ other ways used in East Asia and Japan, or
If your 2D photos /systems of self and world are now out-moded as Asia's firms make 3D photos the norm everywhere
you or your firm now have to invest and operate in China without knowing what hundreds of profitable-in-China Japanese firms have learned in their past 15 years there.
The “Super Engineer” dream and reality of SDM
Prof. Greene fosters the Super Engineer, a leading engineering visionary at SDM. He points out four harsh realities that ordinary engineering programs slighted:
- one, that the size and composition of engineering projects continued to grow till hundreds of engineers from a dozen nations and 20+ corporations worked on single new systems;
The Super Engineer designs not only new products/systems but complex processes and new design cultures that make them—the SYSTEMS DESIGN capability.
- two, that actual engineers often experienced trouble mid-career when they lacked the social, political, cultural skills to handle management, leadership, and tricky multi-culture design-issues needed by large long-term multi-national engineering projects;
The Super Engineer evolves from leading by ideas alone to leading by persuasion power from mastering the politics, cultures, and social side of things—the LEADERSHIP DESIGN capability.
- three, Asian nations had unique cultures of management and design but entered late into global standards and engineering systems formed entirely around Western norms and modes of work—someone had to somehow blend what was best in Asian modes of engineering with what was best in Western modes
The Super Engineer blends the best of the West with the best of the Rest—the CULTURE OF DEVICES, TECHNOLOGIES, MARKETS capability.
- four, established industrial societies, if they out-sourced the making of new designs to rising nations and economies, thereby also shipped out the vast majority of new jobs from new designs, causing their own societies to hollow out and develop serious income inequalities.
The Super Engineer by extraordinary design measures maximizes the performance of energy, lifestyle, and work systems, so good jobs develop simultaneously in old established industrial societies and in new rising economies—the EXTRAORDINARY DESIGN capability.
Prof. Greene’s goal now is to make SDM the world leader in these topic areas, by doing the below.
- A Replacement for Prose (changing how all people read and write)
- A New Way of Meeting and Discussing (among all people in the future)
- Functions of All Arts/Designs (predicting auction prices and historic fame of artworks)
- Beyond Six Sigma (totalizing quality made it defeat professional ways of doing it, globalizing quality is taking it beyond Six Sigma today)
- Measuring the Social Indexing Level in groups and how devices, systems, technologies change it