Ryuichi TESHIMA Professor, Graduate School of SDM, Keio University
SDM teaches innovative approaches and methods to optimize decision making.
In his former position as US Washington Bureau Chief of Japan Broadcasting Corporation (NHK), Ryuichi Teshima became well known for running 11 consecutive days of live coverage of the 9/11 terrorist attack on the World Trade Center. He conducted exclusive interviews with former President Bush, Mr. Donald Rumsfeld, former Secretary of Defense, and many other prominent figures. Had opportunities to observe how President Obama took the first step into a political center stage from being virtually unknown in US politics. He left NHK in 2005 and has been a professor in Graduate School of SDM of Keio University since April 2008.
- Intelligence and crisis management of huge and complex systems
His written works cover diplomacy, security, politics, economics, and intelligence. They include Ultra Dollar (Shinchosha, 2006), Gaiko Haisen (Shinchosha), Tasogareyuku Nichibeidomei (Shinchosha), Days of Wine and Bullets (Kodansha, 2008), and Lion to Kumonosu (Gentosha, 2006). His most recent work is Sugihara Dollar (Shinchosha, 2010).
He contributes to newspapers, magazines, and television documentaries in Japan.
- TV Documentary Award of Agency in Cultural Affairs of Japan Art Festival for ‘Mystery over U-turn of warships of US and Russia’ (NHK, 1981)
- Nominated for documentary award of Agency in Cultural Affairs of Japan Art Festival for ‘The moment of decision: Recorded Cuban Crisis’ (NHK, 1999)
- The Okuma School of Public Management, Waseda University
- The Center for International Affairs, Harvard University (USA)
- The Asian Studies Center of Cambridge University (UK)
- Regular columns for the Japan Sea Rim Syndication network of six newspapers
- ‘Leaders in Crises’ (Bungeishyunju, November issue in 2006, January, February, and March issues in 2007)
- Magazine interviews and talks with Professor Gerald Curtis of Columbia University on the US-Japan Alliance, and the politics of US and Japan
- Exclusive interviews with Mr. Taro Aso, Minister of Foreign Affairs in Chuo Koron
- Magazine interviews and talks with Mr. Masaru Sato about intelligence
- Commentaries for major newspapers, magazines, and news agencies
- Frequently commentary contributor for NIKKEI BP net
- Regular columns for FACTA magazine
- Socio-Critical System Leboratory(SCS)
- Social Life System Laboratory
- Local Resource Utilization Laboratory
- VERSTA Laboratory
- Next Generation Contents Laboratory
- Agricultural Laboratory
- Social Design Center