Shoichi SASAKI Professor, Graduate School of SDM, Keio University
SDM is a place to learn and
practice concepts and approaches for
the comprehensive design of systems.
After obtaining a master’s degree in Electric Engineering at the University of Tokyo, Shoichi Sasaki joined Toyota Motor Corporation as an engineer. He played a primary role in the development of Prius, the hybrid automobile, even appearing as one of the main characters in a Japanese comic, ‘Wings of Prius,’ which depicts how Toyota developed Prius.
He moved to SDM in April 2008 when it was established.
- Design of environmental and symbiotic systems, such as vehicles & transportation systems, energy systems, and agriculture as a social system
- Shoichi Sasaki, The History of Hybrid Technology in Toyota,Toyota Tech Rev, 2005, vol.54 No.1, p. 12-17.
- Technical Award – Engineering, The Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers, 1998
- Minister of Economy, Trade and Industry Award by Japan Institute of Invention and Innovation Award, Japan Institute of Invention and Innovation, 2004
- European Inventor 2009, European Patent Office, 2009 2010 IEEE Daniel E. Noble Award, IEEE, 2010
- Society of Automotive Engineers of Japan (JSAE)
- Instituteof Electrical Engineers of Japan (IEEJ)
- Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers (JSME)
- Symbiotic System Design Laboratory
- Agricultural Laboratory
- Mobility Systems Management Center